Applications Scientist FIB Dual Beam Em
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of $22B and 70,000 employees in 50 countries. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics and increase laboratory productivity. Through our premier brands – Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – we offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive support.
Analytical Instruments Group - Materials & Structural Analysis Division
Our Thermo Scientific brand in the analytical instruments group offers customers in research, academic, industrial and applied markets a complete range of high-end analytical instruments as well as laboratory equipment, software and services. In the Materials and Structural Analysis division we design, manufacture, and support the broadest range of high-performance microscopy workflows that provide images and answers in the micro-, nano-, and picometer scales. Combining hardware and software expertise in electron, ion, FTIR, NIR, NMR UV/VIS and light microscopy with deep application knowledge in the materials science, life sciences, electronics, and natural resources markets. Our laboratory elemental analyzers use X-ray fluoresce (XRD), X-ray diffraction (XRD), and arc spark optical emission (EOS) techniques for precise analysis of bulk materials in the metals, cement, minerals and petrochemicals industries. Our material characterization instruments include rheometers and extruders that measure viscosity, elasticity, process ability and temperature related material changes of various materials. We also provide a range of elemental analysis instruments used in product development. Our worldwide team of 4,600 employees is dedicated to customers’ pursuit accelerating innovation and driving productivity.
The Applications Scientist in the Small DualBeam applications team is responsible for providing technical expertise in support of Thermo Fisher Scientific’s European sales efforts.
- Supporting and training customers after the sale and installation of the microscope. Customer training is primarily scheduled on-site on the customer's instrument, but the candidate will support in-house training in NanoPort Eindhoven as well.
- Authoring and maintaining supporting training material.
- Cultivating positive customer relationships and acting as a high level customer interface for specific instrument/applications issues, explaining complex technology details, and giving in depth technical presentations.
- Providing continuous feedback to the product groups on system performance, features, and potential problems.
- Acting as a primary communication conduit to the factory by reporting engineering and production issues from the customer to Thermo Fisher Scientific.
- Troubleshooting and reporting software and hardware issues and escalate as necessary.
- Providing feedback to engineering on system performance, features and problems.
- Providing technical support to SSD, R&D, Manufacturing, Customer Service and other departments as required.
- As the candidate skills evolve, the candidate may participate in product demonstrations, development of new techniques and applications, support to Thermo Fisher Scientific marketing, and assisting with technical and applications expertise in all phases of the sales cycle.
- Typically requires a University degree in Materials Science, Chemistry and or Physics; an advanced degree is preferred.
- 5 or more years of experience in a relevant position within a research/commercial environment that involved hands-on experience utilizing DualBeam technology is critical. Knowledge and recent hands-on experience with DualBeam is required.
- Excellent, enthusiastic, clear communication skills, both written and verbal, with a diverse audience are essential to the success of this position.
- Excellent customer interfacing skills a must.
- Proven ability to interact with cross - functional and cross - cultural teams.
- Frequent traveling (up to 50%) and ability to travel both domestically and internationally, possession of a valid passport.
- In-depth knowledge of Electron and Ion Optics, TEM Lamella Preparation, Patterning, Analytical Techniques (EDS&EBSD), 3D Applications.
- Fluency in German would be highly beneficial.
- Experience with Thermo Fisher Scientific SEM/DualBeam/TEM Systems.
- Proven track record for training on complex scientific equipment.